The Most Amazing Lasagna Recipe is the best recipe for homemade Italian-style lasagna. The balance between layers of cheese, noodles, and homemade bolognese sauce is perfection!Print Recipe
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large white onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 6 ounce cans tomato paste
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound lasagna noodles
- 30 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pound thinly sliced mozzarella cheese about 24 slices
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot over medium heat, add in ground sausage and ground beef. Use a spoon to break up the meat into small pieces. Add in onion and garlic and cook until meat is well browned, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar, fresh basil, fennel, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup chopped parsley. Pour in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and wine*. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place lasagna noodles into the bottom of a pan. Pour hot tap water directly over the noodles, making sure the pasta is completely immersed in the water. Let them soak for 30 minutes, then drain and discard water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining 2 tablespoons parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and nutmeg. Refrigerate until ready to assemble lasagna.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a deep 9×13 pan.
- To assemble, spread about 1 cup of meat sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan. Place 4 noodles on top. Spread with 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with 1/4 of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, then sprinkle with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Repeat layering two more times to create three complete layers. To finish, place a final layer of pasta, topped with another 1 cup of meat sauce to cover the pasta. Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes to allow cheese to brown. Serve hot.
- *The white wine can be replaced with red wine, chicken broth, or beef broth.
- Make Ahead Instructions
- After preparing and assembling your lasagna, you can cover and refrigerate for up to 48 hours before baking. Freezing a lasagna of this size is possible, but will require a very long baking time in order to heat all the way through.