This vibrant broccoli pesto is quick and easy to make! Whizz it together and toss it with pasta for a fresh, flavorful weeknight dinner.
- 1 heaping cup very small broccoli floret pieces
- ½ cup fresh basil or parsley
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese or 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil and place a bowl of ice water nearby. Blanch the broccoli in the boiling water for 30 seconds, and then use a slotted spoon to scoop it into the ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain and pat dry.
- Place the broccoli into a food processor with the basil, olive oil, cheese, lemon juice and zest, garlic, salt, and several grinds of fresh pepper. Pulse until combined.
- If desired, toss the pesto with the cooked pasta. Serve with pine nuts, red pepper flakes, and additional cheese. Season to taste and serve.
- 8 ounces pasta, cooked al dente
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Additional Parmesan or Vegan Parmesan